Please recognize Chip Stassel (www.chipstassel.com) for our 8 year coaching relationship so far and achieving the path to the Prosperity Leader. If you picture a great ice skating coach and skater, a pitch and pitching coach, Chip and I have a symbiotic coaching relationship. Since we began, his accomplishments have been extraordinary—creating the marriage of his dreams, becoming the empowering father that his kids know and love, leading several organizations to top performing profits and effectiveness, and building self-managing companies that serve his life, not consume him.
Take a snapshot of his levels of freedom, lifestyle, and growth, and you see habits, support systems, and relationships that continue building capacity into greater and greater involvement and enjoyment in the pursuit of his aspirations. He has moved from the sales leader to the builder of a sustainable business, beyond owning a job, with statistics that he lives by. Today he is a multi-faceted master business leader whose able to create unique client experiences in the insurance, food and beverage, and outdoor adventure sports spaces. His business and life plans are fulfilled by masterful priority management to remove waste, to keep on purpose with all the activities that drive what matters to him personally and professionally. He will never run out of enthusiasm with the way he’s created his life.
Chip has chosen the pathway to the Prosperity Zone™ and has put the structures in place to master it. He has built his conditions upon four interlocking aspects: Creative Freedom, Creative Value, Creative Purpose, and Financial Freedom, which altogether bring personal and wealth mastery into one successful life story. Looking back at the key steps to this place, he began by doing the following:
- Focusing his personal gift and delegating everything else to a unified team that does right things right. Chip realized that to get to the next level he needed to multiply himself. Going from a self-limiting business to a prosperous enterprise meant developing leaders around him into their unique abilities, while systemizing his core business processes from marketing to management to finance. He got his team involved at the level of creating the systems with him, and they bought in. Delegating became of function of who does what by when, and to whose unique ability. To Chip, delegation isn’t a coping mechanism rather it’s an opportunity to free others to do what they love. Chip has a high level of voluntary energy from his team for this reason. They love the psychic salary of allocating their unique abilities to the needs of the work. Chip always says, “it’s amazing what’s possible inside people when they are made to shine in the fullness of their potential.” Putting the right horses in the stable means finding the right pasture for the horse that is born to run.
- Making structural tension the primary organizing principle in his life and business dimensions. By default we can settle in life for eliminating what we know we don’t want. How about organizing our lives around what we seek to create for its own sake. This began with a new anchorage to which all of his decisions and actions would be shaped. A vision is a lovely image that manifests the senses. Chip organizes his quarterly priorities and objectives using his three year vision as the predominant point of reference. This economizes everything and eliminates non-essentials. The pursuit of the vision brings both unlearning and learning into the process. Circumstances are simply the present moment and yet Chip shifted his orientation to the creative, with the spirit of intrinsic desire governing his efforts instead of problems to solve, while he remains keenly aware of the current stage he’s in with all of his creations. The difference between what he wants and what he has becomes a powerful armature and engine for the creative process to flourish, as he takes meaningful leaps of uncertainty into desired creations in his life and companies. This, of course, gets contagious when his teams organize their work and efforts around what matters to them, as Chip has noble guiding ideas that summon their commitment and enrollment through invitation and consent.
- Becoming a gifted boss whose the coach and challenger to his organization of co-creators, not the hero or persecutor to reactive victims. Chip seeks to bring his team members’ best selves and creative freedom into how they organize their work. He uses humble inquiry to have learning conversations with his teams by not having all the answers, but following his curiosity, and confronting and inviting others to choose. He fosters a strong commitment to the truth, and encourages safe, honest, and open conversation as a means to knowing what is going on quickly. Moving from hero to coach is the process of outgrowing one’s preoccupation with power. By knowing others’ strengths and limitations, he’s able to co-create desired outcomes and share understanding with his team. As a core practice, the team uses dialog and skillful discussion during meetings to learn from what they do at the backdrop of creating a shared vision. Carrots and sticks aren’t needed to motivate the team, they simply choose the vision and genuinely want it. This makes going into his organizations electrifying at all encounter points with the new and current customer. It’s what creates wow factor service experiences that people talk about and refer like raving fans.
- Organizing his week around all aspects of his life plan. Life has so many aspects that must come together to make us whole. To be present to life and integrate his experiences, Chip puts enormous emphasis on free time to remain enthusiastic and creative with everything he’s doing. He schedules his entire year in advance with vacations and always chooses new places to go and visit to heighten his perspective and increase his tolerance for diversity. Business margins don’t define total success, instead life margins do for Chip, emotionally, spiritually, physically, and mentally. He uses blue sky days to deeply reflect and think about what he’s doing. And he takes immaculate care of his body and sleeps adequately for renewal. Mentally, he’s able to control his attention, and stay on task for long periods of time to narrow his focus and move toward goals. He’s reverent and deliberate in building his faith, and relationships at home. If you take a snapshot of his week, you’ll see how his priorities become activated in time. He structures his time around his priorities, and this makes all the difference, living with a quality view of time, not a quantity view. Quantity views make time scarce, while quality views of time make it abundant and value-centric.
- Building a self-managing organization with him positioned as owner, not operator. Putting a business on auto-pilot starts with the fundamental decision to build the plane and fly it at the same time. Starting with the marketing dimension, Chip documented and codified all key processes to reproduce excellence, so that his people can scale up and produce greater output without adding more to the payroll! Then he documented and systemized the customer service, management, sales, and retention functions, and hired great people lead up goals in each. This way the organization is engineered well and aligned with goals, activities, roles, and reporting vehicles, to execute on the fundamentals required to meet its vision and mission. Competition beware! He’s built an immunity to market downturns and recession because he isn’t trapped by commoditization. Chip makes the employees king first, not the customer. This helps weed the garden of inappropriate customers that cause headaches. Each one is profiled with precision to ensure their qualities match the unique deliveries, preferences, and style of the organization’s brand promise.
What staggers me the most about Chip is his hunger to move values and virtues to outlast him. To this, he is a teacher to others who can learn to be true to themselves, and love their lives as a creator. And Chip can be paid for his wisdom. To Chip, the serial creator, he’s added 30 years to his life span by creating his dreams. He’s touched the lives of so many by multiplying his unique approach and providing direction, confidence, and capability to his relationships. His engineering of brilliant processes that characterize the ultimate client experience is inspiring, and the way he integrates his experiences into all this, is amazing. To this, he is the consummate artist, living at the edge of the frontier where new creations seek him to come into reality; the one who brings creations to exist, that did not ever before.
Spirituality and commerce can co-exist for a better world.